Friday, February 6, 2009

The Magician

All of us were craving for the first round of the evening tea. by then we had already exerted ourselves enough with 2 matches of carrom.The third would start only if we get our throats wet with some 'chaa' (tea in bengali). the 'royals club' at park street saw us daily in the evening.if the club was a person, he would have been pissed by now. after our routine office timings, all 4 of us found some valuable excitement and thrill playing our 'hard fought' carrom matches till the club shuts down in the night.
i was called the magician by my friends, there were times when i started the game and no one else got a chance, i finished the whole game without passing on the striker to the next person. ofcourse, it wasn't very common. so i decided to accept the tag too, it made me happy.
the 'chaa' finally arrived, now we would light up our cigarettes and start the third match. i had lost the first two matches, so there was a hell lot of pressure on me to win this one and prove my worth to my friends. there was something wrong with me in the first two matches. i just wasn't able to concentrate, something was bothering me and strangely enough i had no clue what! the third game began miserably for me, my strikes weren't accurate enough, infact i was missing from quite a distance. the count of cigarettes smoked increased, another round of 'chaa'came. i lost the next two games with big margins. suddenly just when the 5th game was about to begin, i got up from my chair and came out of the club. i was feeling suffocated, not because i couldn't breathe, but because i wasn't feeling good at all. my mind and heart both were terribly choked, and sad, and gloomy,and....what not!
i left for my home in a taxi. my father opened the door, as i rushed in and went straight to the bathroom. i splashed chunks of water on my face and eyes, and came out with a towel. right then, my father asked me to come to his room. i smelt trouble. he normally never calls me to his room for a chat.
what he told me cleared my confusion about my awkward feeling the whole evening. my sister had run away from home, with her boyfriend. she had left a note for my father in his room. there was no note for me.

2 comments:

  1. The magician has more magic in him except carrom, some telepathy for sure....

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know.. there's a sense of peculiarity about ur stories..... they take a definite path with a sense of foreboding towards the end. ... :) .. NICE work matey !!

    ReplyDelete